We’re still hiring!
Position profile: Client Relations Associate
Posted: 21 July 2023
The Social Enterprise Fund (SEF) invests in social entrepreneurs, providing the patient and imaginative capital they need to accomplish important public benefit missions.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Client Relations Associate (CRA) fosters and maintains comprehensive, direct, ongoing relations with SEF’s existing customers to ensure SEF has deep and timely understanding of the business and mission performance of each borrower. The CRA will liaise directly and regularly with borrowers to ensure they are using SEF investments in an effective and sustainable manner, through a variety of methods including, but not limited to development of individualized measurement and reporting plans, regular site visits and ensuring timely compliance with all Financing Agreement reporting requirements.
The CRA will have the capacity to analyze the full range of performance indicators (financial, business operations and mission outcomes) collected from SEF’s borrowers, to provide critical timely reporting to the Executive Director on the ongoing performance and sustainability of individual borrowers.
The CRA will also analyze and report on SEF portfolio trends and mission outcomes generally, providing insight into the overall impact in community of SEF’s investments. This will include writing reports for SEF’s investors, the provincial and national social finance ecosystems and the community at large.
- Build relationships and maintain contact with SEF’s borrowers to collect required financial, operations and outcomes information. As determined by individual borrower needs, support creation of individualized outcomes reports, as well as collecting and monitoring narrative, financial and operational information required in SEF’s Financing Agreements. Conduct site visits on at least an annual basis.
- Evaluate and provide insights on individual client performance, based on review of financial statements, narrative and outcomes reporting to determine whether business operations and mission delivery are successful. Brief the Executive Director in a timely manner of any performance issues, and work with the Executive Director to determine course of action to best support the borrower.
- Evaluate overall portfolio performance to identify trends, opportunities and risks in the sector. Analyse SEF’s portfolio impact performance in relation to international best practices (such as the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals) Prepare information, data and write engaging reports for investor and community on at least an annual basis, and more often if merited and requested. Create and maintain client information databases and individual client report files for use by all SEF staff.
- Engage in the provincial and national efforts to improve and standardize impact investment measurement methodologies and standards, both to ensure SEF’s best practices, and to share SEF’s experience and learnings.
- Other SEF customer relationship tasks as required.
Five to seven years of hands-on management experience in for-profit and/or non-profit enterprises. Experience in gathering, analyzing and presenting information in a variety of formats is critical. Working with boards of all types an asset. A University degree at the undergraduate level or equivalent experience.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- Able to build and sustain productive relationships with others from all walks of life and diverse backgrounds
- Strong business analysis and performance monitoring skills.
- Strong capacity for analytical thought
- Strong English language writing and communication skills, including public speaking
- Strong research and information gathering capacity, across a variety of methodologies.
- Organized, pays attention to detail
- Adaptability, flexibility, imagination, patience
- Works well under stress
- Good judgement and decision making skills
- Ability to effectively prioritise and execute tasks in a demanding environment
- Able to be a self-starter, while participating in effective communication with the rest of the SEF team.
- Participates in visioning, goal setting, review and internal operations reporting for SEF
- Able to work flexible hours to accommodate SEF’s clients. This can include staggered shifts or alternative days off to accommodate evening or weekend engagements.
- Commitment to SEF’s purpose, values and operating principles.
Technical skills and availability
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel , Powerpoint, WordPress, Airtable
- Driver’s licence
- Ability to attend at SEF’s offices (second floor, no elevator) during regular office hours
- Able to work flexible hours when necessary to accommodate SEF’s clients. This can include staggered shifts or alternative days off to accommodate evening or weekend engagements.
Annual salary range: $61,000 to $80,000
SEF’s staff members are employees of the Edmonton Community Foundation. In addition to a competitive salary and a 35 hour work week, the ECF provides its employees with an excellent health and dental package and RRSP benefits. We also are committed to diversity, equity and inclusion in our hiring practices.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume in a single PDF document to firstname.lastname@example.org by 13 September 2023. We thank all candidates for their interest in the Social Enterprise Fund, but only candidates invited for an interview will be contacted.